Have a great time with our
Private Environment

Sugano; Via della Chiesa II nr.1 Orvieto, Italy;
 
(+40) 722. 407.037
(+39) (+39) 339.899.9642
 

ABOUT US
We provide the best services



       Home Relaxing is a detached holiday home with a balcony, set in Orvieto. It boasts a barbecue and a hot tub as well as free WiFi and air conditioning.
       An oven and a microwave can be found in the kitchen and there is a private bathroom. A flat-screen TV and DVD player, as well as a CD player are featured. Other facilities at Home Relaxing include a terrace.
      Duomo Orvieto is 5 km from Home Relaxing, while Torre del Moro is 5 km from the property. Perugia San Francesco d'Assisi Airport is 56 km away.
       This property is also listed for the best quality / price ratio in Orvieto! Customers get more for their money compared to other properties in this city.



Rooms and Facilities
Experience the best services with us

- All you need to Cook
- Comfortable Rooms
- Cozy Spaces
- Luxuri Furniture
- Meeting place
- Neat & Clean Places
- Neat & Clean Spaces
- Neat & Clean
- Relaxation Spaces


Properties:

Rooms :          2

Rooms Type :   
Double

Living Room :
With fireplace

Kitchen :          With all you need to cook

Bathroom :     2

Balcony :       
1

Terrace :       
With barbecue

Max People :   5
Television
Safe area
Free parking
Free wi-fi included



THINGS TO DO
You can not have enough time to visit


Orvieto and the cliff: they have always been one and the same. Needing no defensive walls, the city developed freely within. But the restrictions imposed by the very nature of the cliff meant that as time passed the city also grew upon itself, one phase on top of the other. So as you wander through the streets of Orvieto, you never lose touch with its history.
Signs and clues are everywhere, piled on top of each other, and one step after the other, the succession of centuries and generatone unfolds before you. The walk you are taking is through three thousand years of history. Let the city tell its story.
Lake Bolsena is the largest lake in the northern part of the region of Lazio in Italy and the largest volcanic lake in the whole country, having a circumference of 43km. It is known for a strange phenomenon, known locally as “sessa”, which causes tidal-like movements in the lake. Its formation began 370,000 years ago following the collapse of a caldera of the Vulsini volcano, which stayed active until 104 BC. The two islands in the southern part of the lake were formed by underwater eruptions.
Civita di Bagnoregio is the town teeters a top a pinnacle rising high above a vast canyon ruled by wind and erosion. The saddle of earth that once connected Civita to its bigger and busier sister town, Bagnoregio, has worn away. Photographs around town show the old donkey path that once linked the hamlets. Today, the only way in or out is by a footbridge. Supplies are ferried in on mopeds. The main entrance is a huge stone passageway, cut by the Etruscans 2,500 years ago and decorated in the 12th century with a Romanesque arch. Passing through the portal, you enter another world — one stuck in the Middle Ages. You can feel history in the smooth cobblestones under your feet. Inside the gate, the charms of Civita are subtle. Those searching for arcade tourism won't know where to look. There are no lists of attractions, orientation tours, or museum hours. It's just Italy. Civita is an artist's dream, a town in the nude. Each lane and footpath holds a surprise. Ivy drapes over arches and scrambles up walls; potted flowers parade across balconies. The warm stone walls glow, and each stairway is dessert to a sketch pad or camera.
The Pozzo di San Patrizio is an ancient well in Orvieto, Umbria, central Italy, built between 1527 and 1537 at the behest of Pope Clement VII who had taken refuge at Orvieto during the sack of Rome. The cylindrical well plunges down more than 50 metres in a double helix design, which enabled donkeys to carry empty and full water vessels in downward and upward directions without obstruction. This amazing masterpiece of hydraulic engineering was originally named Pozzo della Rocca (‘Fortress Well’), as it is located close to Albornoz fortress, but was changed to Pozzo di San Patrizio (‘St Patrick’s Well’) in the 19 th century after monks in a nearby convent likened it to medieval legend of St Patrick’s purgatory. After Rome was sacked in 1527 by renegade troops of the Holy Roman Empire under Charles V, Pope Clement VII fled to Orvieto where he took shelter in the city. Fearing that the city’s water supply would be insufficient in the event of a siege, the Pope commissioned Antonio Sangallo the Younger to build a large well that would ensure an abundant supply in case he should have to ride out another siege. The architect-engineer Antonio da Sangallo the Younger set about constructing the well which he designed with a central shaft and two spiral ramps in a double helix, accessed by two doors, which allowed mules to carry water vessels down on one side and up on the other.  His design was unique at the time; there were no other wells like it anywhere in Europe. The cylindrical well measured 62 metres deep and 13 metres wide. Seventy-two windows provided illumination inside the well, and the steps are gently shelving, allowing them to be negotiated easily by the donkeys. There are 248 steps on each side of the well. At the bottom is a bridge that people could walk on to scoop up water.
Orvieto is a beautiful medieval city that sits on the flat summit of a volcanic bluff, a location that was inhabited in ancient times by the Etruscans. That Etruscan settlement — which has traditionally been thought to be the city of Velzna, although that has come into question in recent years — was perfectly situated to withstand sieges, but for one small detail: their water source was located outside of the city, on the plains below the bluff. So they sunk wells down into their impregnable perch and built chambers with cisterns to collect and channel rainwater, thus starting the subterranean construction projects that would continue for the next 2,500 years. The wells helped the Etruscans withstand a Roman siege for two years, but ultimately Velzna (or whatever the city was called) fell in 264 BCE. However, the subsequent inhabitants kept right on digging, and as the city of Orvieto rose to prominence at the outset of the Middle Ages, the labyrinth below the city expanded phenomenally. These additions included not only wells and cisterns, but also grottoes, galleries, shelters, quarries, and cellars (with the stone spaces offering natural temperature control), all built haphazardly in overlapping layers connected by a dizzying array of tunnels.
In 1263 or 64, a Bohemian priest was on his way home from a pilgrimage to Rome. He stopped at Lake Bolsena, near the Umbrian town of Orvieto, to celebrate a holy mass, and was astonished to see so much blood drip out of the communion wafers that it soaked through the cloth below. Pope Urban IV had the cloth carried to Orvieto and, to commemorate the miracle, he established the sacred holiday of Corpus Domini. Raphael covered one wall of his famed Rooms at the Vatican with a highly stylized representation of this fundamental event in church history.At the time, the cathedral of Orvieto was an old dilapidated building, certainly unworthy of housing such an important relic. It took the Popes sixty years to convince the townspeople to sponsor the construction of a new one.Not until 1290 was the cornerstone laid, but soon the old basilica began to acquire a whole new gothic appearance, which blended Byzantine and northern elements and softened them into the so-called Italian Gothic style, of which the cathedral of Orvieto is a prime example. Still, as so often happens in Italy, no one is entirely certain who the author was. The prevailing opinion is that it was a rather obscure monk named Fra' Bevignate da Perugia, but many scholars think he was merely executing plans drawn up much earlier by the great Florentine architect Arnolfo di Cambio.
National Archaeological Museum. The museum offers an exhibition of Etruscan pieces discovered during recent archaeological digs around Orvieto. Many pieces were found in the northern section of the Crocifisso del Tufo Necropolis. Funeral elements and objects, such as Bucchero, the ancient Etruscan black pottery.In one of the rooms there are many objects that were recovered during the Porano necropolis digging, one of the small boroughs near Orvieto. The tombs are of high quality and some have wall paintings, a rare element at least in the Northern inland Etruscan area. In a close environment is shown the reconstruction of the two Golini tumbs, discovered at the end of the Nineteenth Century. For obvious reasons, the paintings of the two tombs have been moved to a safer room, in order to better preserve them.
ORVIETO ETRUSCAN The earliest evidence of life on the cliff dates back to the Iron Age. But it was the Etruscans, fascinated by the site, who settled there and transformed it into a city, Velzna, which developed between the 7th and the 3rd cent. B.C. It reached its heyday between the 6th and 5th cent. B.C., as attested to by the signs of a frenetic building activity which have come to light. Initially spared from the socio-economic crisis of the 5th cent., Velzna was invaded and razed to the ground by the Romans in 264 B.C. The inhabitants were transferred to Volsinii Novi, now Bolsena.
These five panels in the Museo dell' Opera del Duomo are the only ones that survive from a polyptych from San Domenico, Orvieto.  The central panel bears the signature of Simone Martini and the date MCCCXX... (1320 or soon thereafter).   The polyptych also probably had panels in an upper register and a predella below, but these have been lost.  The gallery displays the surviving panels thus: SS Mary Magdalene, Dominic and Peter on the left; and St Paul on the right.  If (as seems likely) this is their original disposition, there must have been two other panels in this register depicting saints (probably of SS Peter Martyr and Catherine of Alexandria, to the sides of St Paul) looking to the left.  The lovely figures of SS Peter and Paul are markedly more lifelike than the others, which have suffered from over-restoration and may in any case have been workshop productions.
The tower was initially named by the Pope, and later renamed Moro probably in relation to that of Raffaele di Sante called “the Moor”(which gave its name to the district and the building beside the tower). The tower stands in the heart of the city in the crossroads between Corso Cavour, Via del Duomo and Via della Costituente as a majestic center piece of these streets.The tower is open internally and has stairs leading to a spectacular terrace, where you can enjoy a beautiful 360 degree panoramic view of the city. Adjacent to the tower is also the beautiful Palazzo dei Sette, named in medieval times because it housed the seven judges who represented the major corporations and trades of Orvieto.
hose visiting the town of Orvieto will find the historical fortress of Rocca or Fortezza dell'Albornoz on the left side of the Piazza Cahen. The castle was founded by Spanish Cardinal Albornoz, under the orders of Pope Innocent VI and from the designs of Ugolino di Montemarte, at a site that once held an Etruscan temple and was meant to be a safe base for the Church in the area.Construction of the fortress, then known as the Rocca di San Martino, began in 1359. After the diplomatic and military victories of the Cardinal it was decided that a fortified structure was required in the town and construction begun on the fortress, built against the cliff then known as Porta Rocca. Work on the castle began at the expense of the local municipality and under the orders of Ugolino of Montemarte, a leading architect of military structures in Italy.
Situated in Piazza del Popolo, the fine Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo is a simple construction of a severe grandeur, typical of the style of the first stage of the city’s free Comune status. A number of important buildings in Orvieto mirror certain architectural elements of this palazzo, from the bishop’s palace to the Palazzo dei Papi, as well as a number of family houses. Details such as the grandiose arches that support the ground floor of the building, or the chequered cornices of the windows, appear recurrently throughout the city. Work on the construction of the palazzo began in the 13th century, possibly by order of Neri della Greca, on an area that had been occupied since 1157 by the Papal Palace built under the reign of Pope Hadrian IV. Following a long period of civil unrest in Orvieto, this building had fallen into a poor state of repair, and some records indicate that it had also been damaged by fire. Originally the Palazzo del Capitano was composed of a single ground floor loggia, used as a market place or for meetings, from which the magistrate would harangue the people. The stairs that led up to the loggia had originally flanked one of the perimeter walls of the previous building. This was the spot where the surrounding lords and other vanquished cities came to pay their allegiance to Orvieto. In 1375 the city of Orvieto submitted to the Church here.
 Fresco Cycle in the San Brizio Chapel, Cathedral, Orvieto. Built in 1290, the cathedral at Orvieto, Italy, is a masterpiece of Italian gothic architecture. The decoration of the Cappella Nuova, commenced by Fra Angelico in 1447 and magnificently completed by Luca Signorelli in 1499 and 1504, displays an awe-inspiring Last Judgement and Apocalypse and, below it, scenes from Dante and classical literature. The frescoes depicting the Last Judgment in the S. Brizio Chapel of the Cathedral in Orvieto are Signorelli's masterpiece. Called to Orvieto in 1499 to complete the vault decorations begun by Fra Angelico and Benozzo Gozzoli, Signorelli worked until 1504 painting the walls with a vivid narrative, including the Preaching of the Antichrist, the End of the World, the Resurrection of the Dead, and the Damned and the Elect. He suppressed details of environment to concentrate attention on the numerous nude figures that dominate the compositions. These frescoes, which Vasari claimed Michelangelo admired, were the most compelling depiction of the Last Judgment before Michelangelo's great fresco in the Sistine Chapel.



CONTACT
Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions


 
Sugano; Via della Chiesa nr. 1; Orvieto
 
fabio.terracina@homerelaxing.it
 
(+40) 722. 407.037
(+39) 339.899.9642



CONTACT WITH US